Thursday, November 6, 2008

"The Last Lecture"

As some of you may remember from one of my recent posts I received a book called "The Last Lecture" for my birthday. After I got it I began to read it right away, but only got to page 7. Then a few weeks later I picked it up again and read about 20 more pages. I would have kept reading, but my roommates got home from work and demanded my attention as usual.

Finally, I picked it up again today and began reading at about 1 pm. With no foreseen interruptions I figured I would read for about an hour. But I couldn't put it down. I finished at about 3:30 pm.

When you read a good book you have this incredible urge to tell everyone you know that they need to read it too. I only read it because my second mom raved about it. Normally, when you tell people to read a book they say they will, but never actually do. I've seen it happen a thousand times. However, knowing how enjoyable it can be to read a good book, I listened to my second mom. Sure it took me a little while, but I did it. And I'm glad I did.

"The Last Lecture" is about a Professor named Randy Pausch facing his own mortality when he is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. As some of you may know pancreatic cancer is one of the hardest cancers to treat because doctors only find it when it's way too late. Because he was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University he was asked to give a last lecture. The book talks about going after your childhood dreams, and the fundamentals you need to get there . . . which is what his Last Lecture was on.

Reading this book was kind of inspirational. Maybe you think I'm dumb, but until you read it yourself I'm going to have to call you the dumb one.

I'm sure the inspiration I got from this book will soon wear off, as most inspiring things do over time, but I'm going to try and make the most of it while I can. Hopefully, even when this feeling fades I will still remember what I learned from this book when I am faced with a difficult situation . . . because . . .
_________ (a quote from Randy Pausch)
|
\|/
"Brick walls are there for a reason: they let us prove how badly we want things" . . . . and

"Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted." - - - quote from his book, although not his own words.

Just read it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting. A good book is a great thing...

cadiz12 said...

It was an amazing lecture. When someone sent it to me awhile back, I watched it and immediately sent it to like ten friends demanding they watch it too. I'm sure the book is just as good.

Diane Sawyer did a series of interviews with Randy before he passed (and one with his family after) that are definitely worth seeing. Especially the part where she hooks him up with a dream he never thought he'd realize.

Anonymous said...

The Last Lecture:

Change the oil in your car every 6 months and keep the tires properly inflated.

MommaLove said...

I am so happy that you enjoyed the book!!! I knew you would... and as always, a great blog! I also wanted to thank cadiz12 for the links - I had already seen The Last Lecture by Randy, but the interviews with him and his wife were amazing.

Can't wait for Thanksgiving!! I am so excited you are coming... we will have soooooo much fun! Hurry up and get here!

Hugs,

Momma Love