Friday, January 7, 2011

Life altering decision - Help Please

Today I had an appointment to get my car stereo speaker fixed. The appointment was at 2, so I dropped it off at BestBuy and then headed over to Barnes and Noble to wait for it. I didn't expect it to take soooo long though.

After about three hours they called me and told me to call them back or just go in. So I put back the "Calvin and Hobbes" book I was reading (great stuff by the way) and went over. Guess what? They didn't even get to my freaking car. Somebody called in sick so they couldn't get to it and now I have to take it back in the morning.

Am I angry? Sort of.

However, during the waiting period I had some time to think.

As most of you may know, I have no idea what I'm doing with my life. All I know is that it seems to be going nowhere, and I know one thing is for sure, I don't want to stay in Nevada for much longer.

So here's where you guys come in. I need some advice.

Over the past few months I've been thinking about where I want to move to next. I moved to Reno on a whim, so I'm really trying to give this some thought.

I know I want to move where there is family close by, because I can't stand living so far away from all of them now. San Diego has always been in the mix, but I've lived there already and even though the weather was beautiful during Christmas and it was a pleasant change from the cold winter, I think I might miss the seasons too much.

So that's when I started considering the Chicago area, where my brother lives. I even talked to him about it while we were together for Christmas and he told me Cadiz has even brought it up to him.

But this would be a big move. It would be expensive, and I wouldn't necessarily have a job when I got there. However, it would be close to my brother, and the Beast would be a little bit closer as well. Not much, but closer.

Plus, if my brother has kids, I would get to be near them.

It's also less expensive to live in than Southern California.

So what are your thoughts?

I would plan on moving in May I think, because that's when my bowling league will be over. Nothing is set in stone, but a large part of me is ready to get the hell out of this town.

11 comments:

Jon said...

well, our current lease is up at the end of may...

Word Verification: imings - the short, stubby-fingered way to type innings.

Syar said...

I say do it! If I could find a way to live closer to my sister (and any possible unborn-as-yet nieces and nephews) I would. But I like living in Melbourne, and she's all the way in Scotland (and then Switzerland), so it's a bit harder for us.

cadiz12 said...

i can't tell you how happy it makes me that i am getting credit for this idea. not only is the Chicago area a lovely place to live, but i'm dying to have a vegetarian to cook for!

also, i'm sure any children your brother will have are sure to want one of their aunts a little closer.

my word verification is "gramp." i think the universe is trying to tell us something about procreating. i just wish i knew what.

Anonymous said...

I think moving to the Chicago area is a great idea. Just a few 7-8 hours from us in OH. We like to visit Jon and Cadiz at least once a summer. I'm sure the cost of living will be much better than CA (if you live in the suburbs) and you'll have all the seasonal change you can take. Plus some.

Anonymous said...

Big decision.... Give it some careful thought.

Jon said...

Look, I'm not trying to add fuel to the "Madelyn come to Chicago" fire, but think about this:

Yes, it will cost money to move here BUT, you were going to come for the wedding anyway. That's a couple of plane tickets and other incidentals along the way. That pretty much negates any cost of you moving here. If you sell everything you don't absolutely need, that should more than cover it. I'm 120% positive on that. So then you'd be here, you wouldn't have to find a place to stay, all your stuff would be here, no hassle of packing and unpacking. I mean, do I really need to say more?

word verification: coutere - pronounced, "see-out-air" as in, can you coutere? It's commonly used during particularly inclement weather.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Jon on this. I think you should go for it! When will you announce your decision?

Madelyn said...

Syar - Way to throw on some guilt.

Cadiz - I love it when people cook for me!

Anon #1 - I would love to be able to see your house finally.

Anon #2 - It sure is, and I am.

Jon - Good point, but what about the lack of a job?

Anon #3 - Before I take your comment into consideration I'm going to need to know who you are . . . I already know who the other two anon's are . . . reveal yourself.

Anonymous said...

Anon 3 is me, the beast.

Jon said...

re: job

I know some people.

Also, people love to eat here. They also loved to be served. Just sayin'.

Word Verification: subdecr - a completely inadequate level of decr.

Anonymous said...

There is no wrong choice - only poor planning. Call 10 restuarants in the area to see when the last time was they hired someone to serve. Might give an idea of the job market....