Friday, September 5, 2008

Update

I can't really think of any specific thing to write about right now, so I figured I'd just give you a little update on what I've been doing.

I've been working.

A lot.

I don't think I've ever worked more than forty hours in one week before in my life. School was an issue. An important issue, but still an issue. I just got over my entire body throbbing with pain from all the work. It's only been two weeks, and it's not as though it's a difficult job.

Sure it can be stressful, but not mentally. Just physically.

Other than that, I am currently addicted to Grey's Anatomy. My roommates wanted to get me hooked so we would all crave a fix together. I understand. It's hard to have an addiction and not want others to be going through the same thing. So since I couldn't fight them, I joined them. Over the last week I've watched three entire seasons. The fourth one isn't out on DVD until September 9th, so I will have to wait five days until I can have another fix.

I don't know if I'll make it.

Sometimes I feel really pathetic enjoying something that isn't even real. I just think "what is the point? None of this is actually happening, nor did it ever happen, and yet, I can't stop watching."

It's kind of weird actually, because I can sit there and think that all day about a drama or a comedy, but when it comes to scary movies I can only focus on the possibility that I might wake up in a really gross place, with a chain around my leg and a tape lying there that says "play me".

But* I digress. My roommates and I are getting a long very well. Except for the time one of them thought it would be funny to trip me down the stairs which led to a great big bruise on my gluteus maximus. At first I was really angry. But then I realized I can rub it in his face whenever he's being mean to me. So, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise really. Plus he tried to buy my friendship back with redbull, rootbeer, and Disc one and two of Grey's anatomy season three (rentals anyway).

Moving on. I currently have a sinus infection. It's annoying but I think I'll live. Although with all the Grey's Anatomy I've been watching I'm constantly afraid that my next doctors visit will lead to a terrible diagnosis of an untreatable disease.

Let's see . . . what else . . . OH! The tv in my room is interesting. It's not mine, it's my roommates, and it has character. If I want to watch something before I go to sleep I need to turn it on an hour before I go to bed so that it will work when I finally lay down. It has to warm up. Not to mention that since I've used it more than it's been used in a while the color is no longer . . . normal. It's actually a green tone now. Which kind of makes everything more toxic-waste looking.

You're probably also wondering if I've had a chance to explore the city much. I'm guessing you're wondering that because everyone I talk to asks me that question. Well, the answer is no. I go to work, and then I go home. I've been to Target, Lucky's, Blockbuster, the gas station down the street, and Walgreens. However none of those places were in San Francisco, they are in Daly City.

Well, that's all I have to say for now. Stay tuned for more updates on my exciting life in a big city.

* I always feel guilty about starting a sentence with a conjuction (and, but, or). I think my middle school english teacher drilled it into my head that it was a big no no. I'm sure it is, but on the very few occasions I read a book, I see sentences that start that way. Am I crazy or is it against the laws of grammar?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your body starts to adjust to working so many hours.

You gotta get rid of that TV set. People are giving away ones that work much better.

So can you see the Golden Gate from work?

Madelyn said...

I definitely need to find a better tv, and i think my body has begun to adjust.

I have never even seen the Golden Gate, except from the plane I took back to San Diego after my visit. I can see the Bay Bridge on my way to work. It looks a lot like the Golden Gate only smaller and gray, not orange. But its still pretty at night.

cadiz12 said...

as someone who was forced to watch a tv whose picture was missing red for so long i forgot what normal tv people looked like, i can sympathize.

watching shows in one long dvd stream is the absolute best way to do it. when i worked nights, Netflix was all i had to keep me company in the middle of the night. i hadn't really been interested in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but a friend lent me the the dvds and i gobbled up SEVEN SEASONS of it in about three months. i realized the show was so much more smart and nuanced than the ridiculous movie. if you bought into the premise, that is.

H and i have gotten caught up on 30 Rock, The Office, Dead Like Me and Serenity since he moved here in March and now we are working on News Radio. Not waiting a whole week between episodes is so much more gratifying, but it can destroy any real productivity. but after working long hours, it's nice to know you have something comforting and mindless to come home to and relax in front of.

and as for the grammar stuff: I have it on good authority that all of those rules are meant to be broken--if you have a good enough reason (that particular one is being phased out). EXCEPT punctuation. you just don't mess around with proper punctuation. as you can see, i throw capitalization rules into the wind, and they have yet to come back and smack me in the face.

can you tell i'm procrastinating?

Madelyn said...

Cadiz - while I was watching all of those episodes of Grey's Anatomy, it was great that I didn't have to wait a week. But at the same time, I sort of felt like it took away from how much time was supposed to have actually passed. Do you ever feel that way?

cadiz12 said...

i can see what you mean. i think the cliffhanger on The Office wasn't as cliff-hangy to us because we didn't have to wait a whole summer to see what was going to happen with those characters.

but i think it's worth it. ESPECIALLY to get to watch without commercials/having to skip them!