Monday, May 4, 2009

A Wrinkle In Time

Why do we hate wrinkles? Why do we do everything we can to get rid of them? Maybe I'm not old enough to understand how horrible it is to get that first wrinkle on your face, but I DO know what it's like to wear a shirt with wrinkles, and I don't think it's that big of a deal.

I think everyone should wear their shirts wrinkly. I think I could start a huge trend if I were a celebrity.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that ironing is a pain in the ass.

I'm 25 years old and thanks to the whole women being equal to men thing, I never had to take Home-Ec in school. I thought it was great at the time, but now I'm an adult and all I can cook is rice and frozen food (and the rice doesn't always come out right). I don't know how to sew, and until tonight I didn't really know how to iron either.

Sure I've done it before, but the shirts or pants always seemed to have new wrinkles or creases that weren't there when I started.

It's always sort of been my secret shame. I guess that's why I've faked it for so many years. But tonight I had to do it, and I had to do it right.

Luckily I live with my mom and she was able to teach me the ways of ironing.

At first I was just going to wing it. I began slowly, telling myself "You can do it Madelyn, just take it slow." But with every new wrinkle or crease I made the frustration grew and grew. I began to curse at my shirts and the iron as well. Finally my mom said "Do you even know how to iron?" So, as I hung my head in shame, I whispered "No". "What?" she said, "NO, NO I DON'T!" I screamed.

It was all out in the open, I began to cry and my mom looked at me . . . the way any mother looks at her child in pain . . . and said "Well for Pete's sake Madelyn, calm down!" So I did, and together we ironed my shirts.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I learned to iron.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You didnt really cry did you?? There are some shirts that I still cant iron so I just send them to the cleaners.

cadiz12 said...

i always have trouble with top back of pants. they never seem to flatten out just right.

Anonymous said...

Have you heard about the miracle wash and wear fabrics that don't need ironing?

Madelyn said...

Amanda - sometimes exaggeration is necessary for a good story.

Cadiz - pants are impossible.

Anonymous - No, tell me more!

Anonymous said...

There are no true "wrinkle-free" fabrics. I have to iron my clothes every day because they currently reside in a pile on my bedroom floor.

Anonymous said...

As someone who very often finds themselves saying, "This doesn't need ironing, I'll just throw it in the dryer", I wholeheartedly endorse the wearing of wrinkly shirts campaign.

Madelyn said...

Cofo - are you famous, because that would really help the campaign.

Anonymous said...

I'm working on it.