Friday, May 29, 2009

Oops

A common hardship among servers is remembering which Pepsi (or Coke) is regular and which one is diet. Unfortunately for me, I had one of each last Monday. They were for two different tables. Normally, it's an easy situation to handle. All I do, is give the one I think is the Diet to the table who gets the diet and ask them to taste it really quick. If it's wrong, I give them the other one, and go back and get another regular (Pepsi) for the other table.

However, on this fateful Monday, everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. Here's what happened:

Me: I'm sorry, I can't remember which one is diet and which one is regular. Do you mind tasting this to make sure it's the right one?

Guest #1: No, I can't.

Me: Oooookay (that's me not fully understanding why, but quickly assuming it's a medical condition). Oh, I know, I'll take this one to the other table and ask her to taste it and make sure it's a regular. I'll be right back.

Guest #1: (Look of anger)

Me: (I hand the other drink to the 2nd guest at the other table) Do you mind tasting this to make sure it's regular?

Guest #2: No, not at all. (she tastes it) yup, it's regular.

Me: Thank You, and sorry.

Guest #2: No Problem. ( She says this in a way that indicates it really was no problem, because why should it be?)

I walk over to the other table.

Me: Okay, that ones the diet (as I point to her drink). Sorry about that.

Guest #1: Oh, so we're just going to take her word for it?

Me: Ummmm (thinking to myself "be polite, be polite") Well I know for a fact that I poured one regular and one diet, and she said hers was regular.

Guest #1: Okay, so were just going to trust that this is diet based on that?

Me: ( Thinking to myself "be polite, be polite, THIS WOMAN IS SO RUDE, be polite, be polite") You know what, I'm sorry I'll get another one. I'll be right back.

I bring her the drink, she says thank you (with a rude look on her face) and I say sure, and I'm really sorry about that. (although mostly I'm just irritated.)

When I go to drop off the check her daughter (or whoever) gives me a look that says "what, we have to pay for our lunch after what just happened?" But I smile and say, "Take your time, no rush." I walk away.

Then I end up transferring the table to a different server because it wasn't my table to begin with, it was transferred to me by another server. Plus, my manager was in a hurry to get me off the clock so I didn't feel like waiting, although I was worried they would leave a bad tip.

They leave a 2 cent tip. I felt really bad. (I felt bad because the server I transferred it to only got a 2 cent tip, I don't get the tip because it was not on my sales total . . . I hope that makes sense . . . oh, and we claim our tips based on our own personal sales.)

I know I should remember which soda is which, but is it really that big of a deal?

6 comments:

Jon said...

No, someone just has unrealistic expectations about how the world works. Have you tried putting a straw In-N-Out style in the diet ones?

But really, if all you did was make that mistake, they are stupid. I don't care what the reason is. Any way you look at it, you tried to make sure you got it right. You could have just given them the wrong one and had them complain (which I'm sure they would have), but instead you tried to get their order right. They failed to recognize that. I believe in that instance, a throat punch is entirely acceptable. I'd run it by your manager first, but I'm pretty sure that's standard issue in that scenario.

"Ok, sorry about that, here's your diet soda and could you please look at the ceiling for a second? Thanks!" -Execute Throat Punch-

Anonymous said...

Maybe the better strategy would have been to give them the wrong one, have them complain and then make a big deal about getting a new one. That looks like better service.

Our company does this all the time - something goes wrong with our product and we make a big deal about fixing it and the customer thinks we are responsive and helpful.

Madelyn said...

Jon - Our straws don't have wrappers. I know, I think it's unsanitary as well. I like the throat punching idea.

Anonymous - I think if she had received a regular all hell would have broken loose. My manager did find out about the 2 cent tip and he asked me what the hell happened. I told him the situation and he was on my side. I was a little angry that the other server said something to my manager though. I felt like she was trying to get me in trouble.

Anonymous said...

I have worked in the food industry before, and I can totally see where you're coming from. Some people just make you lose faith in humanity, and truly do deserve a good throat punch.

Turns out they don't like that though, which is why I no longer work in the food industry...

cadiz12 said...

it would have taken all of my willpower not to have poured the drink on her head when she said she couldn't taste it. WTF?

i think in this economy, people are just looking for ANY reason to stiff on the tip.

Anonymous said...

I've never tipped a server less than 20%. Most servers are friendly and helpful. Occasionally I get one with an attitude, but even then I give them a decent tip. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out.