Monday, April 5, 2010

New Phone

Last Monday I was shopping at for a few essentials at WalMart. While there, I decided to browse the DVD section to see if there was anything new worth buying.

Normally, I pay no attention to the cell phone section at WalMart, because if I were going to get a new phone, I wouldn't buy it there. However, I had been unhappy with my cell phone since pretty much day 1 of purchasing it . . . which was about 6 months ago. I also thought I would be able to look at these phones without a salesperson harassing me.

And that's when I saw it . . . The blackberry curve . . . in white. From that moment on I had to have it.

I don't know what it is about white phones, but they call to me (pun intended). I think I had the same problem with sneakers when I was younger . . . there was nothing like a brand new pair of white sneakers. If someone had new shoes on, I knew about it.

So I went home and checked out the T-mobile website. I knew it was going to be expensive because I had just gotten my current phone last September and signed a 2 year contract. But I thought, maybe they would do something for me since I hated the phone so much.

The website said it would be about 80 dollars for the blackberry curve with an extended 2 year contract. So I decided to go to the t-mobile store right after work the next day and talk to a salesperson about it.

When I got to the store the next day I was very excited. As soon as I walked in, it wasn't hard to get a salespersons attention. I told him I was interested in a new phone because I was completely disappointed with my current phone.

He was very nice, and told me he would give me the full discount . . . of course, when he told me that he could give me the full discount he made it seem like he was doing me some great favor . . . which he was, but I don't think it was as big of a deal as he made it seem.

I told him which phone I was interested in, but somehow, he got me interested in the Mytouch, rather than the curve.

The next thing I knew, I was walking out the door with a new Mytouch instead of a curve. However, the only reason I was even willing to buy the Mytouch was because it was also white.

When I got home, I played with it for a while (that's what she said) and immediately fell in love with it.

You may not know this about me, but until I got the mytouch, I was completely against the iphone, and anything like it. I felt that a phone should be a phone, and if you needed a camera or a computer you could use them separately.

I guess I just remember being young, hearing the phone ring and wondering who it could be and all the excitement that kind of went along with that. Nowadays, if you get an unknown number calling you, you're scared to pick it up.

I still kind of feel that way, but I have no choice to embrace the technological advances. They are there, they are pretty cool, so I might as well use them. Plus, I have a feeling I would go crazy if I never knew who was calling me before I picked up the phone.

So now I have the Mytouch and it's great, but it's only been a week and I've been having some problems.

1.) 2 Nights ago I tried to use the camera (no, not for the first time) and it said that before I could use it I would need to insert an SD card. Well, there is already and 8GB SD card in the phone. So I thought, maybe I just don't have a lot of space available on it. So I checked and it said that out of 7.39 GB, I was only using 7.38GB. . . . Okay . . . so, I take out the SD card and put it back in, turn the phone back on and try the camera again . . . it works.

Five minutes later I try the camera again, and it says the same thing. So I took out the SD card again, but this time I blew on it (that's what she said) as though it were an old nintendo game, and put it back in. That was yesterday, and so far, no more problems with it. Still worried though.

2.) It said I got a text message last night, but there was no new message from the person it said it was from (or any new messages for that matter). It was kind of late when it happened, so I didn't want to text her just to see if she had texted me.

3.) I charged the phone yesterday and it was completely charged at about 9 pm. In other words, I took it off the charger at 9 pm. When I went to bed, it still said I had a full battery. When I woke up, I grabbed it to check the time, and it wasn't even on. So i though "that's weird" and turned it on. It went on, but it said the battery was dead. WTF.

At this point I knew I had to take it in to a T-mobile location and ask them what the hell was going on. Basically, I wanted to walk out of there with a completely new Mytouch.

So I told the girl helping me what my problems were, and all she did was check the camera (it wasn't doing the thing I talked about) and installed an app that would make it so all apps that were not being used would be shut down while they weren't being used. Make sense? I don't care.

So I still love the phone, but I'm a little frustrated. The girl I talked to said I could bring in the phone if the problem persisted and they would give me a new phone, but I would need the receipt.

I still have the receipt, but it's in Nevada, and I am currently visiting San Diego. I don't really want to drive home (for ten hours) with a semi broken phone.

5 comments:

Syar said...

That really sucks! I hate when new gadgets go fritzy, because new gadgets always make me nervous. Gadgets in general make me nervous. I worry about the day my Mac (my darlin' Calpurnia, also sleekly attractive by being shiny and white) will decide to revolt, for some strange gadget-y reason.

I've had my phone for about 4? years now? It's really basic, a chocolate bar of a phone. I've dropped it on asphalt and everything else, one corner's so scratched up it's formed a bit of a point, so I guess I can use it to shiv rapists? I'll hang on to it as long as I can. I'm scared of iPhones because they look entirely too shiny and fragile and I am a clumsy giant with shiny fragile things.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Did they give you a discount because the phone was defective? Ask them that and see what they say.

Anonymous said...

I have a phone like Syar's - the old-fashioned "I'm twice as big because I have buttons and a screen in separate places" kind. It breaks a lot, but somehow comes back to life before I get a the chance to rush out and buy an iphone.

But anyway, I hope you get things sorted out. Just bribe them with a T-shirt if they don't give you a new phone. And if THAT doesn't work... blow on it some more. (That's what she said)

http://xkcd.com/218/

Madelyn said...

Syar - is your computers name Calpurna? . . . i like that your phone doubles as a weapon, I'd rather have a knife pop out of the side than a somewhat decent camera . . . yes, I think you are on to something Syar.

Anon - lol, good question.

Cofo - I would rather have an iphone, but I don't really want to leave tmobile.

I think I will try bribing them with a t-shirt though . . . maybe it will say " MyTouch - that's what she said"

cadiz12 said...

i think you should give the old iPhone a try. your brother swears by them, and he's the most knowledgeable person on the subject that i know.