Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Facts are in

When I was little I used to pray every winter that it would snow. My parents once told me that it had to be at least 30 degrees for it to snow. They failed to mention that as long as we lived next to the coast it didn't matter how cold it was, snow wasn't going to happen.

My first experience with snow wasn't the best. My dad took my sister and I to a somewhat local college where they had brought snow down from the mountains and put it in a pile. By the time they got it down there it wasn't that great. It was more like ice, rather than the much preferred fresh powder. It was very nice of my Dad to try though.

When I got a little older I began going to winter camp at El Camino Pines. The first time I went there was no snow . . . what a jip, my parents got ripped off. The second (and I think last) time I went there was a whole lot of snow. I remember walking in it and thinking " wow, this really sucks". It made my feet very cold and I didn't like that. I was probably 13 at the time.

Now it's 13 years later and yesterday, what I consider my first real experience of snow came. I was at the gym around noon when the snow began to fall. I went into a panic. I had never driven in the stuff before, so before it got too bad I got the hell out of there. It continued to snow all day . . . and all night . . . and this morning. I woke up to about a foot of snow outside. Did I panic? Hell yes I did. I had to be at work at 11:30 and I had still never driven in the snow. What if I spun out in the middle of the freeway just as a semi was coming? What if I couldn't even get out of my parking spot? How do you put on snow chains? These are the questions that went through my mind. So I woke up at 9:15 and got ready for work all the while telling myself that the worst would never happen to me, those things only happen to other people. Right?

I left at ten, leaving myself an hour and a half to get there.

I took my broom and dustpan down to the car with me to get the snow off. Because I don't have snow boots, I wore my Heely's (minus the wheels) because they are my thickest shoes (which up until today looked brand new). I don't have a snow coat either so I wore two pretty thick jackets instead.

I just want to take a moment to say that it's really weird how when there is snow on the ground it doesn't seem as cold outside.

When I got down to my car it was covered in about a foot of snow. I used the broom to sweep off the door so I could get in and start the engine before I swept off the rest.

The first sweep was fun, it was easy, the snow just came right off.

It quickly became annoying. My hands became cold very fast and there was a lot of freaking snow all over my car.

After about ten minutes I had finished uncovering my car and was ready to attempt driving.

Keep in mind that the parking lot hadn't been plowed yet.

I was surprised when it didn't take much to back my car out.

As I made my way to the actual roads I felt terrified. But then, when I was actually on them, it wasn't so bad. Most of the drive was on the freeway which was plowed pretty well. I drove about thirty miles per our the whole way and arrived at my top secret place of work 45 minutes later.

I was so relieved when I got to the parking lot. Unfortunately, the parking lot wasn't plowed very well. I drove along looking for somewhere to park, but I made the mistake of driving way to far past my place of work. When I tried to turn around I got stuck in the snow.

My first idea was to try and dig myself out using the dustpan I had brought. I dug for about five minutes before giving up and getting back in the car. I tried to move again, but it didn't work.

Luckily after only a few minutes of trying a very nice man came and tried to help push me out. When he couldn't do it by himself another man came and helped him. Eventually I got out and was able to park.

*Insert special shout out to nice men who pushed me out here.*

So that was my first experience of really living in the snow. What they say is true, it's nice to visit, but sucks to live in. I think this is something you have to experience before you can really understand it. I still think it looks pretty and is fun to play with, but it's definitely no picnic to drive in.

Here are a few pictures of the outside of my apartment:





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to get a nice big coat and some snow boots. And an ice scraper. And thick gloves. It is scary to drive in snow. Here's how I handle it. I let my husband (who grew up with it) drive everywhere. All you need is a husband who will drive you. Easy!

Madelyn said...

I have an ice scraper . . . that's about it. Maybe I'll ask for a husband for Christmas . . . nah, I'm good.

Syar said...

You have Heelies and you're jealous of MY life?

I miss snow. I haven't seen it in 13 years (also! what a coincidence). And it's unlikely there'll be some freak snowstorm here in Malaysia. But then again, you never know.

Anonymous said...

I just saw footage form Sparks, NV on the Weather Channel. It looks like you got a good one!

Madelyn said...

Syar - With global warming you never do know!

Anonymous - yeah, it was pretty bad, and now it's 9 degrees here and this snow ain't melting.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new snow!

I've always lived in a place with plenty of snow, and I've always loved it. But for me, the worst part isn't even the driving, it's the spending 20 minutes every morning scraping the solid 2 inches of ice off the car.

Other than that though, snow is super awesome. Probably not as awesome as Heelys though.

Madelyn said...

Cofo - So far I really like it. I haven't had to scrape two inches of ice of my windshield yet though.

Heely's are pretty much more awesome than everything.

Jon said...

It was 2 degrees yesterday with the wind chill putting it at -20. I didn't think that was necessary, but I don't have to go outside anymore, so I should just be quiet.

My snow driving is limited, but I'm comfortable with it. When I had my car in NY, we had a slush storm followed by a sudden drop in temperature. I came out to find my car completely encased in about 3/4 of an inch of solid ice. Not fun. Can you park in a covered spot, or at least closer to the sun?

Madelyn said...

Jon - I definitely don't want to deal with a wind chill.

I can't park in a covered spot, but so far, sweeping snow off my car doesn't bother me so much.