Monday, January 5, 2009

When the roommates are away, Madelyn will play

Okay. So, on Friday night my roommates went to Nevada, A place they frequent even though both of them say they hated living there.They have been gone for 3 days now and are returning to night. I think. We kind of got into a big argument.

The point is, as soon as they left I began doing things I'm pretty sure I would never get away with when they are here.

I had one project in particular that took pretty much the entire weekend.

Most of you have never been here, so you don't know the hideousness that is our couch. Let's just say that the fabric is a material commonly used for comfortable pants. Well . . . we have this couch cover to disguise its ugliness, but about a month ago I got tired of using it because it always came loose . . . to the point of making it (the couch)look worse.

Okay, so as soon as they left I began to clean the (linen) closet because it had been driving me crazy since I got here. While I was cleaning it I came across the sofa cover I had come to loath, and tried to put it away neatly. Unfortunately it was harder to fold than a fitted sheet. In my frustration I decided to go ahead with an idea that a certain roommate wouldn't let me do before.

The idea was this: I would cut it into pieces and sew it directly onto the couch in order to prevent movement. Of course as most of you know, ideas always sound much better, and more importantly, easier, in theory. But I had to do it, and this was my only chance. With both roommates gone and no chance of them returning any time soon I felt . . . INVINCIBLE! Yeah I said it! No one to tell me what I could and couldn't do to THEIR property! MUAHAHAHAHA.

I began my mission by going to the store to buy thread and needles. When I was ready to begin the sewing process, I knew it was going to be difficult, as I had tried several times (unsuccessfully) to repair my own pants. But I was determined.

Sometimes you start something determined and remain that way the entire time. That was not the case this time. After about two hours and only 6 inches of sewing completed I was ready to give up. Unfortunately I knew that wasn't an option. Damage had already been done and I couldn't just let myself fail. Why you ask? One Main Reason . . . I couldn't take the ugly couch in our living room anymore.(****)

Instead of continuing with my terrible sewing job, I decided to find another way. Than I remembered the gorilla glue in my closet (mostly because I had just cleaned said closet out).

Don't panic, I didn't use the gorilla glue, mostly because it said it ruined fabric . . . but there were other reasons too (okay, no there weren't).

However, I thought that if there was a glue out there that a friend of mine used to hold his boat together, than there must be one for something as simple as fabric.

However the search would have to wait. It was 3 am in the morning at this point, and I was pretty sure Joanne's fabric store was closed.

The next morning . . . okay afternoon (hey I went to bed at like 4am) . . . I headed to the aforementioned store, in an even more determined state than the night before,to get supplies.

Well GUESS WHAT? I found what I will now forever refer to as "a miracle in a bottle". Some people call it "Liquid Stitch". I bought a couple bottles and headed home.

Don't get me wrong, when I first bought it I wasn't sure that it was "a miracle in a bottle". So I did a little research on the stuff. No, I didn't use the stupid internet . . . I called my mommy.

She said that it was normally used for patchwork or quilting or something. I don't remember the exact details of this conversation.

I knew at this point that there would have to be more sewing involved . . . or would there? I began gluing the fabric to the couch. It said it would take a half hour to dry, so I glued and waited. Passing the time with episodes of "NewsRadio" of course.

Once the glue was dry, I tested it by pulling the fabric . . . at first just a little bit, than a little more, and than with half my might (hey, sitting down is hardly the equivalent of pulling on the fabric with ALL your might) . . . it worked.

Because my laziness usually exceeds my potential, I took this as a sign that there would be no more need for sewing!

Two days later the couch is finished, and while I feel the glue will hold, only time and constantly sitting on the couch will tell. It doesn't really matter though . . . I'm pretty sure nothing I've done could possibly make the couch any uglier than it already was.(&&)

(****) As most of you know I used to live with my older younger(#) sister and I've realized over the last three months that her obsessive need for things to look nice and be clean as well rubbed off on to me a little more than I would have liked. I'm pretty sure I can be diagnosed with O.C.D. now. But whatever, better than living in a mess.

(&&) I know I said the couch is (was) ugly, but I would like to clarify that although this is true, the couch is also very comfortable.

(#)Older than me, younger than my oldest sister.
Until next time . . .

7 comments:

cadiz12 said...

phew, i'm glad you discovered liquid stitches before you spent a week trying to sew it onto the couch. i hope it holds.

can't wait to hear the roommates' reaction...

Madelyn said...

Thanks. I'm actually a little scared of their reaction at this point. Don't get me wrong, it looks amazing . . . but you never know.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing your project.

Maybe its a good thing that you were influenced by your older/younger sister.

I would have used the Gorilla Glue.

Anonymous said...

If this works you have to tell me. I have a chair that I bought at a thrift store that is straight out of the 70s and I want to recover it, but I don't want to sew the cover. Maybe I could liquid stitch some fabric on it! - Oldest sister

cadiz12 said...

btw, i tagged you for a meme.

MommaLove said...

Well, since no one else has brought this to your attention, perhaps in order not to be scared of your roommates' reaction and as a considerate roommate, you probably should have asked permission AGAIN to cut up THEIR couch cover to glue it onto THEIR couch, espcially since said owner of couch had already said no... regardless of how ugly you think it is or how invincible you felt. Just a thought... maybe next time you are bored you could read a book, TAKE a sewing class, or go sightseeing!! LOL!

Madelyn said...

oldest sister - I think so far its working pretty well. I haven't really had any feedback on how it looks, But I personally think it looks damn good. However, it was very time consuming and I couldn't sit on the couch for a while. In fact I'm still a little afraid to. I'll try to send you a picture.