Thursday, March 26, 2009

Oh the Frustration

As most of you already know, I am a server. Yes, I do have a college degree, but whoever said all you need to do in order to have a good career is go to college was a liar . . . okay maybe not a liar, just not a fortune teller. Back then (and by then I mean when my parents were my age) this degree would have gotten me a lot farther. Now I need experience too. COME ON!

So here I am, 25 years old, still serving tables, and once again living with my parents. (insert sarcastic tone here) Life is good.

Sometimes I feel like people use the state of our economy as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, it's a really good excuse, but sometimes people take it a little far.

For example, if you think you can afford to eat out, but then feel you can't afford to leave a proper tip, then you can't afford to eat out!

Lately I've been getting the worst tips I have ever gotten in the history of my serving experience. And yes, I know the economy is bad, but maybe you could've just gotten one appetizer instead of two, or maybe you shouldn't have ordered that second round of drinks. It's simple logic really.

Servers are not there for the minimum wage they are earning every hour. They don't "Love" what they do. They are there for the tips.

T-I-P-S : To Insure Proper Service

I'm not going to lie, I don't always give the best service. But when I do, it drives me insane to see that I was left 0 -2 dollars on a 60 dollar check. No, I'm not exaggerating here. This is my reality.

I'd have to say one of my worst experiences was yesterday. I had a party of ten. They were a fairly easy group, and I knew I could also add gratuity* onto the check. Unfortunately, when the time came, I completely forgot to get it added and I dropped the check. A few minutes later I realized what I had done and tried to calm myself down.

The check was 116 dollars. They gave me 93 in cash and 2 credit cards. On one they wanted 12 dollars, on the other $15. When I saw this I became even more enraged. I've had it happen several times before. Everyone puts in money and they just assume the tip is taken care of as part of it. So I specifically wrote on the check 93 + 12 +15 = 120.

Apparently this didn't phase them. They left no additional money. Even 10% of that check would have been $7.60 more than they left me.

The message I am trying to send today is this: Everybody enjoys eating out. There's just something about being waited on hand and foot that makes you feel special. However, none of this would be possible without servers, so YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF THEM! Because once again, they are NOT doing it for the minimum wage.

* Just because I know gratuity will be added does not mean I don't try to give them the best service I possibly can.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

People are stupid. That's America, it's a problem.

Unknown said...

I don't mean to take the other side here, but what are the chances that they truly believed that gratuity was already added in?? Sometimes when I go out in large groups, Im just not sure if it is or not. It is possible that they thought that. You have learned a very important lesson here haven't you. If you are in the large group and they automatically add the 18%, but you don't feel that they deserve 18%....... is there any way to lower the gratuity??

I have another question for you. So sometimes when Steve and I go out (mostly to the olive garden) we split a meal. Does this upset you as a server, like I am a waste of a spot in your section?? I will say that when I do this I do feel especially cheap so I always over tip out of guilt.

Madelyn said...

yes, I think it is possible that they thought it was already added in, but it always says on the check, below the tax, the percentage of gratuity added and the amount in dollars. So that's how you know if it was added.

example:

subtotal: 116.23
tax : 8.43
17% Gratuity: 19.75

Total: 144.36

When 2 people split a meal i personally don't care. Some servers do . . . in fact I hear a lot of servers complain when people only order waters as their beverages. However, splitting a meal at the Olive Garden is not your fault. Most restaurants give people ginormous portions, so if the server is looking for someone to blame they should look at the restaurant.

Anonymous said...

Most people in a large group are not sure what to do about tipping. I thinkthey actually prefer to know tat there is a gratuitiy already built in because then they don't have to worry about how much to tip.

If ten people are trying to figure out who owes what for the bill, it is much easier if the tip is already fixed for the entire amount. That way they can calculate it easier and they don't have to look like a cheapskate if they then have to leave their own tip.

Jon said...

You know I never served, but I did deliver pizza for way too long. I think they're different, but certain principles still apply. For example, if people are going to tip, they tip. If they aren't, they sit there and say things like, "I didn't like the way she pronounced 'water,' and she really seemed to have an attitude with me the 4th time I sent my food back." People aren't going to change. You can give them great service or terrible service. You'll probably actually effect the tip you get .0000000000000003% of the time. That's a scientific fact.

The only way I kept myself sane was to ignore the individual and focus on the night. Sometimes you get a $10 tip on a $300 bill, and sometimes you get a $10 tip on a $30 bill. It evens out. I tried to make up for it with one thing and one thing only, quantity. The more deliveries I could do in one night, the better chance I had of walking with a decent amount. It's a lot easier in pizza delivery though because you're in and out. You could get stuck with a group that wants to chat over one cup of coffee for nine hours.

I don't know if you do this already, but I'd say the best thing for you to do is get the bill to the customer as soon as possible. Don't rush them out the door, but don't make them wait for the bill. I know there's been plenty of times where I was out and sat waiting for the bill for 15-30 minutes... That's time the table could be cleared and re-seated. Besides, if they're jerks, the sooner they're gone the better.

cadiz12 said...

that is freaking RIDICULOUS. while i can understand them thinking gratuity was included, the fact that this stuff happens all the time is horrid.

we went to Olive Garden on thursday and left extra because of the economy. plus our server was really good--we even told the manager.

Madelyn said...

Jon - I sort of agree with you on that, sometimes good tippers might get crappy service and not tip well.

Cadiz - good for you, especially the compliment part. It really looks good when you get complimented, but few people go out of their way to do it.

Also, tonight I got stiffed on a $154 dollar check. And I even made them a special birthday dessert.