Friday, November 12, 2010

Introducing . . .

. . . The Pengopotamus ladies and gentlemen.

For those of you who read the comments from my last post, you may remember what Syar had to say. What if a Penguin and a hippopotamus mated and successfully procreated?

She also came up with some good names for the possible hybrid, pengippo . . . hippenguin . . . but ultimately I decided pengopotamus rolled off the tongue a little better.

As for your visual of what said creature would look like . . . well, of course I'm going to illustrate.



As you can see, this unusual creature inherited the body of a penguin, and the head and feet of a hippopotamus. I know what you're thinking, "What kind of scientific research have you done for this?" but I assure you, there has been absolutely none whatsoever, which is why it must be an accurate depiction.

Like most penguins, the Pengopotamus lives in Antarctica, but it doesn't eat fish. It is a strict vegetarian ( it must have also watched Food Inc.). It can swim, but not very well due to the lack of feet fins (yeah, that's a thing). It mostly just likes to lounge in the water, with it's body completely immersed while it's head bobs just above it.

It's not a violent creature, but it will attack if it feels in danger. Unfortunately, it's only weapon is it's teeth. It can neither run fast nor grasp anything (penguin arms, what are you going to do?) so it's not hard to get away if you accidentally make it angry.

That is all we know about the Pengopotamus, because that is all I feel like making up right now. I encourage all of you reading this today, to educate the masses about the Pengopotamus so I can become rich for inventing him (Don't worry Syar, I'll give you the usual 5% founders fee).

6 comments:

Syar said...

Oh my goodness, YES.

And you're right: Pengopotamus combines all the great things about both names. Which reflects on the greatness of the Pengopotamus. Feet fins! Adorable penguin arms that are kind of useless!

I predict this time next year, every child will be begging for a Pengopotamus for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

This is an impressive drawing. You should consider making a t-shirt out of this.

Jon said...

There's no need to stop at t-shirts. Coffee mugs, mouse pads, knee pads, iPhone covers, napkins... the list is endable, but there's still quite a ways to go. Come on, lets make a hundred dollars on this idea.

Anonymous said...

I'd definitely like to get onboard with this franchise, it's definitely going make it big.

cadiz12 said...

do those feet help with the swimming? because i heard sea lions are pretty ferocious.

Madelyn said...

I think I know what my annual Christmas T-shirt is going to be this year.