Saturday, November 20, 2010

Just so we're clear

Those of you who have met me in person know that I rarely smile. It's not something I consciously think about, it's just my face. Every person I meet, and I mean EVERYONE I meet usually asks me a variation of the same thing: "Why don't you smile more?"

I'm telling you right now, I don't know. I DON'T FREAKING KNOW!

This has been the case for me for as long as I can remember. Although, I visited my parents back in August and my mother and I were going through a lot of old pictures. Of course there were very few pictures of me because I'm the youngest, and, well, who cares about the fourth kid you have, they had already seen all the cute things kids do with the first three, right?

Anyway, I noticed that in every picture I always had the biggest smile on my face. We're talking ear to ear grinning here.

I guess I met my smile quota for my entire life when I was 10 or so.

But just so we're clear, when I look like this:




I usually feel AND think that I look like this:




I swear.

4 comments:

Syar said...

You're like my friend S, a little bit. When she's "content", she looks like she's frowning, so she's constantly getting asked "What's wrong?" when nothing is wrong at all!!

I find it best to just not ask what the deal is with people's faces. I mean, it's private!

PS: Really like the fancy colouring for your hair in this post!

cadiz12 said...

i don't ask people what's wrong with them unless i know what they're like normally to see if they're actually acting strange.

you smiled a lot when we were visiting, but then your brother is pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

You are just a normal German Protestant... No mystery.

Anonymous said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you have an unfortunate neutral face. Plain and simple. I have it, too. Sometimes I walk into the classroom and a student asks, Dr. Awesome, is there something wrong, are you ok?? Then I tell them that I just have an unfortunate neutral face and they laugh and the whole thing is forgotten about. It's a pain, but now I look forward to people asking. I used to get mad when people asked why I don't smile, but now I take it in stride. Getting old helps with that...you stop caring what people think.