Monday, November 9, 2009

The Bees Knees

What are Bee's Knee's?

Do bee's even have this joint in their legs?

Why do people say "that's the Bees Knees" when something is awesome?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . or,

Why do people say "that's the cat's pajama's" when something rocks their socks ( there's another one)?

I did a little research on Wikipedia, and this is all it had to say:

The Cat's Pajamas, A phrase used to describe something as beneficial.

It had nothing to say about "The Bees Knees" but the practice of "Bee Bearding" did come up.

Apparently, Bee Bearding is the practice of wearing several hundred thousand honey bees on one's face, usually as a side show activity. . . . . well that's just The Bees Knees! (see what I did there)


So then I googles "The cat's Pajama's" and it led me to "The Urban Dictionary" This is what they have to say:



An adjective used by hipsters of the 1920's to describe a person who is the best at what they do.
Also used to describe another person who is genial and fun to be with.
This term has been recently popularized by the movie 'The School of Rock'.
Synonym: bees-knees
"Martin sure knows how to dance, he's the cats pajamas, man!" - - - this is an example

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . and . . .

1920s Lingo describing someone (something) who is great, incredible or special. Usually indicating stylishness or innovation. Pajamas were a relatively new fashion in the 1920s. The term "cat" was beginning to be used as a term to describe the out going and unconventional jazz-age flappers.
That girl wearing those Paris Hilton sunglasses must think she's the cats pajamas. - - - this is an example
Those crazy rinestone studded platinum teeth are the cat's pajamas! - - this is an example


WOW! Fascinating stuff, and apparently, "The cat's pajama's" and "The Bees-knees" are synonyms.

AMAZING.

Either way, this is all I can think of when I hear these 2 phrases.




and

3 comments:

Syar said...

I wonder if having knees mean the bees are more susceptible to early onset arthritis.

But I think bee-bearding while wearing cat's pajamas would be the cat's knees!

Anonymous said...

Bee-bearding sounds like something I most definitely must do.

Whenever I hear bee's knees, I think of a bee doing that dance where you put your hands on your knees and cross your arms every time your knees come together.

It would also be the bee's knees if you could tell me what that dance is actually called, because it's really bothering me.

cadiz12 said...

is that dance the mashed potato?