Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Granny Smith

For as long as I can remember people (mainly my Mom) have told me not to buy granny smith apples. "Those are for pies", she'd say. And it was my Mom, so of course I listened.

Well, a few days ago I went shopping and I needed some fruit. For the last couple of weeks I hadn't really purchased any fruit because I only like melons (watermelon, cantelope, honeydew) and they are not in season. Come to think of it, it seems like all the good fruits are best in the summer time, but I really hate the summer . . . son of a bitch.

Anywho, I went to the store with bananas, peaches, and apples on my list.

When I got there, there were no peaches, only nectarines which I didn't really want. So I got some bananas and went to pick out some apples.

Typically I like gala apples, but the last time I bought them they were nothing but a disappointment.

So I stared at the apples for about 5 minutes trying to decide what to do. None of them looked good except for the ones that were supposedly strictly for pie making.

I said "screw it" and grabbed 4.

When I got home I had to have one.

AND IT WAS DELICIOUS.

So many years wasted avoiding sweet deliciousness.

I'm sorry Mom, but they aren't just for pies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You mean there are more than one kind of apple?

Strange...

Anonymous said...

Are Granny Smiths the green sour ones? I like those ones too.

Anonymous said...

I think you're misquoting me: I bought apples to make pies and you wanted to eat them. I said, "No, I need them to make pies." I think we should be clear here. When Madelyn likes something, she eats ALL of it.
You MIGHT think she could eat one apple, but you would be WRONG!!!

Anonymous said...

You have consumed the forbidden fruit. Now you're in for it.

Madelyn said...

anonymous 1 and 2 : yes and yes

"anonymous" #3 - that's not how I remember it.

Cofo - bring it on.